What animals kill frogs?

Hi everyone!
I’m curious about predators of frogs in different ecosystems. Any insights on which animals pose a threat to these amphibians? Let’s discuss!

One major predator of frogs are birds, especially herons and storks. They’re quite adept at sneaking up on frogs near water bodies.

I’ve also read that snakes love to snack on frogs. They can easily catch them, especially since many frogs are near water and hidden places where snakes hunt.

Don’t forget about lizards, particularly larger species like monitor lizards. They are pretty relentless when it comes to hunting frogs.

Some mammals, such as raccoons and even some small wild cats, will go after frogs. They’re opportunistic hunters and will eat just about anything they can catch.

Yes, this big guy is also a natural enemy of frogs

Curious about predators of frogs in different habitats; anyone have more specifics?

In swampy areas, alligators and crocodiles can catch and eat frogs, although it’s not their main diet, they won’t miss out on an easy meal.

Birds of prey, like hawks and eagles, will sometimes catch frogs if they’re near water sources. These birds have keen eyesight and can spot movement easily.

Absolutely, in the swamps of Florida, I’ve seen gators snap up frogs when they’re hunting for food.

Owls, though they are more known for hunting small mammals and insects, will catch frogs too, especially species like the Barred Owl in North America.

In deserts, where you might find certain frog species, predators like snakes and even some scorpions and spiders can pose a threat to amphibians.

Really true! In the rainforest, many frogs fall prey to various bird species, particularly during the night when the frogs come out to hunt and mate.

Hi all, I’m interested in knowing what insects or arthropods might endanger frogs.

Certain large spiders, like tarantulas, can predate on frogs, especially smaller ones. They can ambush them and inject venom to subdue their prey.

I’ve seen documentaries showing large centipedes attacking frogs. It’s pretty rare but it happens in tropical environments.

One insect you might not think about are dragonfly larvae. When they are in their aquatic nymph stage, they can catch tadpoles and even small froglets in ponds and streams.

That’s fascinating and kind of scary! Those centipedes are no joke; they can be quite aggressive hunters.