Do cats repel mice?

Curious if cats really keep mice away?
Let’s discuss whether feline presence deters rodents effectively in our forum share your experiences and insights!

I’ve heard that merely having a cat in your home can deter mice from entering. Is this scientifically proven or just an old wives’ tale?

It’s true to some extent. Cats are natural predators of mice, and their scent alone can be enough to keep mice at bay.

Cats are definitely a deterrent. Even their presence in a neighborhood can decrease the mice population. However, it’s not a foolproof solution.

I’ve had a couple of cats over the years, and while we never saw mice in the house, it’s hard to say if it’s solely because of the cats. Maybe we just didn’t have mice to begin with?

Oh, it’s hard to say. I suggest you try it again :smiley:

Yeah, but mice can sometimes figure out if a cat is around and just avoid certain areas while still infiltrating others.

So, are cats more effective than other methods like traps or poison when it comes to repelling mice?

Cats are good as a proactive measure. Traps and poison are more reactionary. Both have their pros and cons depending on the situation.

Effectiveness of Cats in Mouse Control
So, are cats more effective than other methods like traps or poison when it comes to repelling mice?

One advantage of using cats is that they avoid the risks associated with chemical methods, like poisoning pets or children.

True, but some cats might eat poisoned mice and get sick.

Exactly, it’s a delicate balance. If you have a cat, ensure that you use safe traps and keep poison out of their reach.

How do mice behave when they detect a cat’s presence?

Mice usually become more cautious. They tend to avoid areas where they smell a cat or are aware of its routine.

Mice are smart mammals. They can detect and avoid cat-occupied areas but are also adept at finding hiding spots where cats can’t reach them.

I’ve noticed mice chew through walls and floors more when trying to escape from cats. They eventually find new ways in or hide within walls.

In my experience, mice seem to adapt quickly. They often sneak around during times they know the cat is less active, like night-time.