Are hornets attracted to bug zappers?

Originally published at: Are hornets attracted to bug zappers? - Thanos Home

Introduction

Summer is in full swing, and so are the buzzing pests we all love to hate—hornets!

Before you invest in a bug zapper, you might be wondering: are hornets attracted to bug zappers?

In this blog post, we’ll dive into the science behind bug zappers and hornet behavior to give you the answer you need.

Understanding Hornets

Before we tackle the bug zapper question, let’s first understand what hornets are.

Hornets are a type of wasp, generally larger and more aggressive.

Unlike bees, they can sting multiple times, making them a significant concern during the warm months.

What Attracts Hornets?

Hornets are generally attracted to food, sugary substances, and, yes, light sources.

However, their attraction to light isn’t as straightforward as you might think.

How Do Bug Zappers Work?

A bug zapper works by emitting ultraviolet light that attracts insects. Once they get close, they’re zapped by an electric grid.

Seems straightforward, but does it work on hornets?

The Science Behind the Attraction

Research shows that hornets are more attracted to certain colors and wavelengths of light.

However, their attraction is not as potent as that of moths or other nocturnal insects.

Studies and Evidence

Some studies have shown that hornets are not significantly attracted to the UV light emitted by bug zappers. Your mileage may vary based on the type and brand of bug zapper you use.

Pros and Cons of Using Bug Zappers for Hornets

Let’s weigh the pros and cons.

Pros

• •Low maintenance
  • •Chemical-free
  • •Can be effective for other types of insects

Cons

• •Not specifically designed for hornets
  • •Could be ineffective or less efficient

Alternatives to Bug Zappers

If bug zappers aren’t the golden ticket for hornet problems, what is? Consider these alternatives:

• •Hornet traps
  • •Natural repellents
  • •Professional extermination services

Safety First!

Regardless of the method you choose, always put safety first.

Hornets can be aggressive, so proceed with caution and proper protective gear.

Conclusion

So, are hornets attracted to bug zappers?

The answer is complicated.

While bug zappers may catch the occasional hornet, they’re not a guaranteed solution. Consider your specific needs and perhaps opt for a more targeted approach.

Hello,

I’ve recently encounterd a hornet problem in my garden. They sem to be attracted to an old apple tree that produces a lot of sweet fruit. I’ve tried several methods to keep them away, but with little success.

While searching online, I found a product that seems promising to treat hornets. I saw that there is a promo code (GIFT5) that offers a 5 euro discount, that’s why I’m more about to buy it.

But before, Has anyone used this type of product before? What was your experience? Thank you in advance for your advice and suggestions.