Do Bug Zappers Really Work on Moths?

Iā€™ve read that bug zappers can be harmful to local wildlife. Has anyone done studies on their impact on non-target species?

Yes, thereā€™s a fair bit of research indicating harmful effects on non-target species. Many beneficial insects are attracted to the UV light and subsequently killed.

Itā€™s a tough balance. We want to enjoy our evenings without being swarmed by bugs but also donā€™t want to harm the ecosystem.

True. Maybe consider alternative methods like citronella candles or fans that donā€™t harm insects but keep them away from you.

I did some small-scale studies and noticed a decrease in the population of beneficial insects in my backyard after installing a zapper. Itā€™s something to consider if you care about local biodiversity.

Anyone tried using natural repellents instead? Stuff like lavender or lemon balm?

Iā€™ve had good luck with natural repellents. They donā€™t kill the moths, just keep them at a distance. Seems more sustainable.

UV zappers might not be the best long-term solution. They can disrupt the local ecosystem more than you might expect.

I prefer using pheromone traps. They target specific pests and are less likely to affect non-target species.